The Mac app “Garageband” is a huge program with which you can also professionally record your electric guitar. We will show you how to do this in this guide.
Record electric guitar with GarageBand: equipment for Mac recording
In addition to a Mac and an electric guitar, you also need an amplifier:
- If you have a guitar amplifier, connect it to the audio input of your Mac via line-in via jack cable.
- If you do not yet have an amplifier, you need an Audio interface or a multi-effect device, it is important that the device has a USB or FireWire port.
Prepare Mac and Garage band for the recording
If everything is ready, now connect your guitar to the Mac. Optionally, you can connect a headphone or boxes to the audio output. Now open the Garageband program. For better clarity, we have changed the various settings in our Gallery Presented.
- In the “New Project” tab, select “Electric Guitar” as the instrument.
- In the next window, you choose the name and location for your project. With the tempo slider, you control the speed, as a signature, you have different options for the clock. You can freely change the beats per minute (bpm). You can also set the desired key here. Then click Create.
- In the “GarageBand” > “Settings” menu, you can see under the “Audio/MIDI” tab whether your audio interface has been detected correctly. If the settings were not made automatically, you must enter them manually.
- Click on the small note icon in the blue window at the bottom of the middle, you can also switch to the project settings and change the tempo from here.
Let’s go – recording with GarageBand
Make sure you have activated your guitar track. You can see this at the red dot under the track name.
- Configure your virtual guitar amplifier for the desired sound or select one from the list. You can find them by clicking on the selection list below the “Guitar Track” button.
- Click on the red recording button to start recording.
- If you want a high-quality recording, you can use “Fade In” and “Fade Out” effects. By pressing the [CMD] + [B] buttons, you can display the master track. Here you simply set two or more control points that activate the effect.
- When the piece is finished, stop recording and save the file from the “Storage” > “Save” menu.
- If you want to upload your recording to iTunes, select Storage > Deploy and the appropriate options for playing instead.